Saturday, July 17, 2010

Calcagno Cullen / LETTERS TO NEW YORK

Project Description

This is a continuous project in which I write letters to people, chosen randomly, who live in New York City, found in the white pages. These letters are unconventional, scattered thoughts, including drawings and notes/comments on life. They become a sort of diary or record of my life. These letters consist of descriptions of personal stories, dreams, goals, to-do lists, recipes, etc. With each letter I ask the recipient to respond in some way, usually asking them to tell me a story. I include a self-addressed stamped envelope for convenience. This project is both a release for me, a way to send my most personal thoughts off in a little envelope, as well as a way for me to connect with people on the other side of the continent, to physically "touch" the art-mecca of New York City.
These letters comment on the state of communication in today's culture as well. Why is the reality of recieving a hand-drawn letter in the mail so jarring? How has this lost art of letter writing become a rare, personal, and sometimes frightening way of communicating?
The responses are posted on a website (click HERE to view) as I recieve them.

No comments:

Post a Comment